Saturday 9 December 2017

publications - What to do with papers after misconduct allegation was resolved?


I was alleged in scientific misconduct in form of authorship abuse. More details are in my previous questions


How to respond to allegations of misconduct in authorship dispute?



Should I put my supervisor as coauthor of a paper?


The good news is that the investigations have ended in the inquiry stage (the dean have informed me by email).


There are several probable reasons why they have stopped:




  1. The article was indeed done with different methodology, which had nothing to do with the approach described in the grant application.




  2. At the interview I have revealed several facts of abuse, namely I was ordered to work on the projects not connected to my funding project.





  3. They are afraid I could become a whistleblower.




After receiving the confirmation from the dean, I immediately informed the editor of the journal. Unfortunately, the editor rejected the manuscript, stating that:



This is useful information for us, but the question before the journal is not one of personal scientific misconduct, but rather whether the authorship on the paper is the correct one, and whether we should proceed with the external review process, which may lead to its eventual acceptance and publication.


Based on the information available, we have decided not to go further with the review of your manuscript. There are still significant concerns being raised about whether the manuscript should have been submitted with its current authorship, and we do not believe there is any clear path to removing these concerns. The scientific reviews we have received are mixed and would place the manuscript in an unclear position regarding acceptance or rejection based on its content. These two factors together give us sufficient cause to issue a rejection. Because the manuscript did not reach the publication stage, no other action is necessary, and we would like to also consider the case closed.



My questions are:





  1. Should I try to resubmit the manuscript as is into some other journal; should I redo all the calculations, reanalyze, and rewrite it first; or should I just abandon it?




  2. I have another manuscript, for which my ex-supervisor sent me an email stating that "he assumed that I was going to publish it by my myself", in spite of the fact that he supported me. This seems to be the evidence that he resigns his authorship. Should I try to publish it also?




  3. Can they reopen the misconduct case if they would like to do that?







No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...