Thursday 28 December 2017

advisor - Signed up for conference, having second thoughts


My advisor suggested that I should sign up for a conference, which I did - I now have to give a 15 minute talk.


However, the conference is taking place very far from me (+20 hour flight), and I am having second thoughts on whether I should go or not. Here are my thoughts:


Pro



  • Meet new people/socialize

  • Present my work at a talk, instead of merely a poster session


Con




  • Conference is only 4 days, two ~20 hours flights are very exhausting

  • The audience are not completely aligned with my field, so I have to make my presentation simpler than what the work actually is

  • Will not learn things that I directly need for my research because of the audience (they are in geology and engineering, I'm in math)


Honestly, I don't feel like going because of the above list. But I am worried that



  • My advisor will think I'm being annoying by "backing" out

  • I can't say no now, since I have been given a talk


I would be very happy to hear your opinions on this matter. Maybe I am putting too much thought into this.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...