Friday 23 June 2017

What title to put on a professional business card, for a person with a PhD


Is there a correct or preferred format for indicating 'Dr' or 'PhD' (or both) on a professional business card.


Background: I am employed in the industry and I have just earned my PhD (in social science). My company wants to update my business card.



The following are two options:



  • Dr Name, PhD, University Name

  • Name, PhD, University Name


I am told that it may be a sign of arrogance but I am also told that if you have earned it, you deserve it.



Answer



"Dr Name, PhD" is redundant, so this usage is often discouraged. If you are going to indicate the degree, I'd recommend "Name, PhD" rather than "Dr Name" since it's more informative (at the very least it will keep anyone from thinking you are a medical doctor). In the U.S. it's not common to indicate the university, but I think I've seen it more often in other countries.


I'd suggest thinking carefully before indicating your degree on a business card. Some people without PhDs may respond bitterly, like you are bragging about your accomplishments or implying that your expertise is more valuable than theirs. At the same time, some people with PhDs will look down on it as well, in a status hierarchy:





  1. Some insecure people without PhDs feel resentful and don't want to be distinguished from PhD holders.




  2. Some insecure people with PhDs try hard not to be confused with group 1, thereby irritating those people all the more.




  3. Some better-established PhD holders aren't worried about being confused with group 1, but now they don't want to be confused with group 2, so they pointedly denounce emphasizing your degree as being tacky and in poor taste.





As a rule of thumb, I would omit the degree from your business card unless it's important for your credibility (i.e., the skills from your PhD are professionally important and people would otherwise assume you don't have them).


The one situation in which you should absolutely not indicate a degree is if it's irrelevant. For example, if you're an accountant with a PhD in literature, then your business card should not read "Name, PhD."


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...