Saturday 10 June 2017

publications - What to do with research results while being in high school?


I have written a math paper on combinatorics (a generalization of a math olympiad problem) and am looking to get it published. I believe I have discovered something new (although I don't claim it is "important" in the sense of being a breakthrough or anything) and want to get credit for it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anyone to endorse me to publish on arxiv, so I'm trying to get it published in another (less popular) repository that doesn't need endorsement.


Any suggestions? Things I have looked at so far:



  • academia.edu - apparently this isn't safe enough for protecting your work.

  • hal archives ouvertes - I tried searching about this one but there's no information regarding how trustworthy it is, etc.

  • github - this seems to be for computer science.


  • vixra - looked promising at first considering the "everything gets accepted" rule, but then the downside is that people have started viewing it as an arxiv for crackpots, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to publish there, but this being my first paper I'm not so sure.


I would love to hear your thoughts on this and any advice you can give.


Note: I'm not prepared to send my paper to any journals so that is out of the question at the moment.



Answer



First, if it is not submission-ready, then it is unlikely that it is arXiv-ready either.


If you put it in another place, you won't get much prestige or recognition, so I would aim at a place accessible to everyone (without login) - your homepage, GitHub or anything (it does not matter). It may be a good place if you want to start discussions.


Second, it is rather unlikely that it's something ground-breaking that everyone would like to steal from you. (But don't get discouraged - it is certainly possible that it is an interesting result!) You would benefit more from discussions than have to lose.


Third, some guidance is needed. Ideally, you can consult it with a friendly teacher, professor or PhD student. If not possible, one way to go is to try some research-level competitions for high school students (e.g. like First Step to Nobel Prize in Physics, European Union For Young Scientists or something in that line). Even if you don't win anything (those are very though competitions) you might get some feedback. Additionally, even in Poland there are a few local competitions for works in mathematics by high schools students (e.g. this and that). I am sure in UK there are also some. If you did something in a Math Olympiad, you can try asking organizers if they know such competitions (or someone suitable for mentoring you).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...