Wednesday 21 June 2017

teaching - Good questions for post-class survey


In order to get feedback more quickly, I've seen some teachers run a quick (certainly no more than 5 minutes), entirely optional, anonymous survey for students at the end of each of each class, meeting, or session. The idea is to get feedback on what is working and what isn't on a per-week basis before mid-term or end-of-term evaluations. What are good questions or prompts to use on a survey like this?


For example, I am currently planning to ask something like:



Any feedback on the BLANK? (e.g., was it rewarding, challenging, about the right about, etc.)"



Where BLANK will be the readings, lecture, and discussion for the class session. I will also ask a general question like:



"Any other feedback or things you think I should know?"





Answer



My class sessions each had a lecture and a period of time devoted to discussion. As a result, I ended up using a Google form with the the following four questions each followed by a text box:



  • Any feedback on the readings? (e.g., was it rewarding, challenging, about right, etc.)

  • Any feedback about the case and/or the other class discussion?

  • Any feedback on the lecture? (e.g., about the right length, too dense, etc)

  • Any other comments, ideas, questions, concerns, or reflections?


I sent a link to the survey every week after class and kept it online so that students could fill it whenever they liked. All answers were anonymous.



About half the class filled it out the first week and there was decreasing numbers who did so in subsequent weeks. Since I used feedback to make adjustments to the class over the quarter, this worked out just fine. I felt that the survey was successful enough that I plan to ask it again, in exactly this form, in my class this quarter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...