Monday 5 December 2016

genetics - How can Southern blotting be used to establish gene copy number?



I am reading a paper on a certain marine microorganism that can eat alkanes and therefore might be useful for cleaning up oil spills, etc. This sentence struck me as odd (although I am sure that the answer is pretty simple):



Using the same probe, Southern blotting analysis showed that there was only one copy of alkB1 in the B-5 chromosome.



I realized that I don't know how Southern blotting can tell you about copy number. Can someone help me on this?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...