Monday 26 December 2016

teaching - What to do when students bring me questions related to other courses and subjects?


I teach all of the writing courses for one of my college's STEM department. Occasionally, students bring me questions related to their field, e.g. they are doing some project for another course and they want to know what tools I used for a similar real-world project I did before.



  • If I help the students (which would amount to suggesting some books, tools, Web sites), perhaps the department will feel I am interfering in matters where I should not, as this is not my teaching area.

  • If I turn away the students, perhaps the department or (students themselves) will feel I am not committed to serving the students.


What is the accepted procedure for such a situation?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...