Friday 23 December 2016

graphics - Using IEEE Citation style, how should I Cite a Figure, that was based on one in a text?


In a lecture I watched, I found a very good diagram that explains a concept I am trying to explain. I couldn't get hold of the original image, so I recreated it in Tikz -- with a few changes to make it perfect for what I am doing.


This lecture is not a primary source for the concept explained in the diagram -- it uses ideas from other papers I am citing. Though I do cite it a few times, where the ideas it explained were clearer than the base texts (as well as citing the base texts).


In the caption should I put:



... , then generating all the layers below. Right: A DNN initialized using the DBN [1].



Or



... then generating all the layers below. Right: A DNN initialized using the DBN. This diagram based on one found in [1].




Or even -- since the caption is also drawing heavily on the lecture



... then generating all the layers below. Right: A DNN initialized using the DBN[1]. This diagram based on one found in [1].



Where [1] is the index in my bibliography for the lecture.




Related: Creating a schematic figure based on an existing one



Answer



The most common way folks in my neck of the woods handle this would be to say "... A DNN initialized using the DBN (adapted from [1])."



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...