Monday 30 May 2016

research process - How to stop hopping the learning chain and actually begin somewhere?


Here is what I feel whenever I find something interesting and feel like pursuing it :



  1. Oh so I like X (Computer Graphics), let me read up papers/books about it.

  2. Ok let me begin with reading up Y (OpenGL)

  3. But Y needs W (Linear Algebra)

  4. Well reading up Z (Probability) first makes more sense.

  5. Umm, you shouldn't jump to Z without learning U (Permutation/Combination).

  6. And how come I forget about reading V (Number theory)

  7. And what not..



I always end up searching and reading up "Best books to begin A/B/C/D.." instead of actually making myself begin somewhere. This consumes all my energy and I never really start.


Q. Have others faced this ? Q. How do you handle this and actually begin somewhere ?


Any help would be really appreciated.


Background : I am a working professional, with Masters in Computer Science (fascinated with Computer Graphics etc). Its been two years since my masters but I still kind of miss academia, my thesis work and other interesting stuff I did there. My current work is also pretty interesting and partially overlaps with my interest areas. However, other than work, I would really want to continue doing things related to my masters side by side (and MAY BE take up a Phd somewhere down the line). But the never ending feeling of not knowing anything takes over.


Its not that I am being forced to study any of this. Its purely for my personal interests that I want to pursue it.




Update 1 :


Thank you so much everyone for such overwhelming response. I really like several answers and points raised but haven't marked any yet because I am in the process of trying some and would update if something actually works for me. Meanwhile, I also found this talk really helpful :


https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...