Sunday 29 May 2016

graduate admissions - Should I mention my blog in my SOP?


I did a bunch of code projects like implement a algorithm or use the code from a paper on a different dataset. These may not be unique (they may be, but I am not sure). I wouldn't say that these projects have the best efficiency/accuracy for a particular problem. But these are stuff that I was just messing around with and got some interesting outputs. I maintain a blog about all these activities that I do. These projects are related to machine learning, a subject in which I am interested in pursuing a MS degree.


Should I mention these blog posts in my SOP?


My SOP is a research statement, and these are not entirely research projects, but they do reflect my interest in machine learning. Would mentioning these projects benefit me in any way?



If you do recommend that I mention them, how should go about that?



Answer



Yes. You could mention it in your SOP and/or in your CV.


I have received some applications from students in which they mentioned a technical blog, and so far it has always left a positive impression. In my opinion, keeping such a blog demonstrates:



  1. Maturity in writing and communicating (especially if your blog communicates something technical in an informal way that is not sloppy).

  2. Organization of thought and effort.

  3. Initiative.

  4. Love for learning ideas relevant to your discipline.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...