Saturday 21 May 2016

graduate school - May a PhD be more practical than theoretical?


I'm thinking about pursue my studies and doing a PhD in information technology. My problem is that I would like to create something new (== write code), and focus my thesis on how this new technology works (each component and global interactions), what it can do, and how it can evolves / be improved.

I'm not against doing research, reading books and work on theory - but I want to be more practical than theoretical.


I'm starting to think that a PhD is not a valid option if my goal is to develop something new instead of conducting pure research. Am I wrong ?


About my cursus: I will receive my master degree soon (~= 3 months). I come from a highly technical background, with 5 years of programming and project management.




Edit & more information
My university doesn't offers PhD courses, thus my supervisor don't care about my choices. Another consequence is that I have no other choices than to go to another university.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...