Thursday 7 June 2018

phd - How can I thank a senior faculty who's written me a good reference which helped me land a desirable job?


I recently got a good job and I want to thank a very senior professor in my department, who spent time to write me a very good reference.


I am thinking maybe to give him a thank you card when I go to see him before leaving the department.



I come from a culture where gift-giving is considered obligatory if someone has helped you to achieve something major. I'm not sure this is appropriate in the UK context.


Any ideas?



Answer



A thank-you card would be perfect, or even just saying thank you.


There isn't a strong culture of giving thank-you gifts in the UK so your professor won't expect one and certainly won't feel that you are ungrateful if you don't give him something. However, it's almost never inappropriate1 to give a small gift if that's what you want to do. The suggestions in the other answers (a gift card for a coffee shop, a bottle of wine or especially something from your own country) are all good ideas. I wouldn't spend more than about £10 on such a gift.


1 The situations where it would be inappropriate would mostly be cases where the gift could be interpreted as a bribe; that obviously isn't the case, here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...