Friday 8 September 2017

Thesis in use, potential employer wants to see source code



EDIT:


Let me clarify things and specify my concerns:




  • I wrote a program for my thesis that solved a problem for the target establishment.




  • The establishment now uses the program with my consent but nothing was signed and everything was verbal.





  • I applied for a job and that company now wants to see my program source code because it's relevant to the job I'm applying for.




  • My advisor is directly tied to the establishment using my program. I have notified him and we have scheduled to meet up and talk about it in a few days.




My concerns: ( just want to get more info before my talk with my advisor )




  • Is my program source code still my own? Have I accidentally given up my right to share it? Can my advisor and the establishment prevent me from sharing my source code to the company I'm applying for?





  • The source code is also included in the published thesis I submitted, doesn't that make it open source in a sense? Does that mean neither me or my advisor/establishment can claim ownership or anything of the code?




  • Are things different because my thesis is applied to an actual situation as opposed to a theoretical situation? Like there is a period the thesis isn't made public (open source) like a grace period before it's open to the public?






No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...