Sunday 24 September 2017

publications - What is the relationship between impact factor and journal ranking


As a second year graduate student, it's become increasingly difficult for me to figure out what journals are the most prestigious. My research is very interdisciplinary, and so journals from many different fields would be suitable for my work.


Initially, I took Impact Factor as a good proxy for journal ranking. However, I've come to learn that IF doesn't necessarily reflect the whole story. It seems that number of citations (for an individual publication), regardless of journal, appears to be the most important metric.


However, barring that, I assume most people (in the interest of career success), would still like to publish in the best journal they can get in.


Consider a journal like Physical Review Letters. It has an impact factor of 7.7. However, a relatively new journal like Advanced Energy Materials has an impact factor of 14.3, almost double that of PRL. However, I've always heard that PRL is one of the best physics journals that you can publish in (heck, Einstein's EPR experiment was published there). So if I had an article that would be appropriate for submission to both, which would be the better one to get in?


Then there's something like Nature Physics, with its 20.6 Impact Factor, which suggests getting in here would be a more significant achievement that either of the other two. But by how much? Surely not by three times?



(Part of the problem is that Research Gate gives you a total IF score for all your publications, which I think biases that number more than it should be.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...