Tuesday 4 July 2017

ornithology - Why do crows sit on treetops even when it is cold?


It is cold outside: -1 degrees Celsius, wind 14 km/h and snow from time to time. I was wondering why crows (maybe birds in general in Northern Europe) are calmly sitting in relatively windy places even though there are plenty of potentially warmer places to go to. (see picture at the bottom).


My first guess was that it isn't cold enough for them However, I couldn't find support for this online, so it's not possible to know for certain.


NB1: This is my first post - let me know if something is inappropriate. NB2: I am not a biologist, so please be patient.


I'd appreciate links/references where I could get information that gets closer to finding an answer to the given question.


Crows sitting on a treetop on a cold day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...