Thursday 20 July 2017

publications - Is there a downside to "publishing" a preprint first?



Just as a background, I just finished my graduate school in August. I had three data chapters in my dissertation. My first data chapter was published long before graduation and was based on a different genetic dataset than my second and third.


My second and third data chapters were different analyses of the same SNP genotyping dataset (which I had generated). My second data chapter was just published, so I published the SNP dataset with it (as is generally expected). I need to convert my third data chapter into a manuscript, but due to other factors (e.g., looking for a postdoc, finding funding, etc.), it has sort of taken a back burner.


My dissertation doesn't become public until September 2018, so the general public (outside of witnessing conference presentations) doesn't have any access to my research from the third chapter. However, given that my dataset is public, I have some fears that I could get scooped. It's not too hard to replicate what I did.


In my context, would it be a good idea to get a somewhat revised but not quite ready for submission version posted as a biorxiv preprint to get it in the open? Or would that increase the odds?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...