Friday 28 October 2016

statistics - Appropriate statistical test for a student lab?


I am a HS Bio teacher and doing a microevolution lab involving candy. Essentially students use four candy types and push them together until one cracks (Nat Sel). They also do simulations of migration, mutation and genetic drift. They then calculate the "allele frequency" of each type per generation and look for changes. I want to have my students do a simple statistical test to see whether the change was significant or not from each evolutionary factor. I was going to do a chi square test, but someone told me that is not appropriate to this type of experiment. So, can anyone confirm, is chi square inappropriate, and if it is.. Can anyone point me to a more appropriate test. These are high school kids with no stats background (and I have forgotten virtually all the stats I learned 20 years ago)...




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...