Friday 2 August 2019

How does the creative process of Biological Evolution work?


In order for nature to go from microbes to man, there needs to be new information. Where does this new information come from?


It is understood that Evolution basically involves three elements. Natural selection, genetic mutation, and time. The problem for Evolution, is that none of those three elements are creative. Natural selection is basically just a pruning process. It selects from what is there and advantageous, and prunes off what is deleterious to the organism as far as its fitness.


Genetic mutation is just errors in replication. So it creates nothing. It simply degrades. We have no new information, just an erroneous replication, and degradation of what was there before.


That is still true of gene duplication. We have an error that repeats the same information/genes. So we have two copies of something but there is still no new information.


This brings us to the second problem. What mechanism or process of nature/Evolution, carries out the instructions. What I mean by this, is that it essentially has to work like a computer. If I want my computer to have a more advanced program, I need to input new information, and its often codified in the form of say a disk, or installation file.


What is the equivalent of this installation file for Evolution?



For example. Say I'm a cephalopod. And I'm getting environmental pressure from predators and I want, or need, to advance my defenses, so I want to built some spikes on a hard outer shell. Where does the cephalopod get the new information, or rather, instructions, to know how to do this new feature?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...