Saturday 29 June 2019

zoology - Why is it that cats can jump so high for their size, compared with humans?


My cat is about 1' high at the shoulder, and I am a little over 6', but my cat can easily jump onto something as high as I am. That is 6x it's height. If a cat can do this, then Why can't I jump up onto my barn roof? That is a little less than 36' up. I have a hard time jumping onto even a 4' platform. Now if my cat had trouble jumping onto an 8" platform, I would think that pathetic. Do cats have muscles 20x stronger than humans, for their mass? Is it just their skeleton providing leverage?



Answer



Cats have different body structure than human beings. Its body-kinetics are quite different from us. Yes, muscles are quite strong, but this not the only reason. To know in-depth about the reasons behind the cats’ extreme jumping abilities, you can just refer this online article - "The Glory of the Cat – adidarwinian" at http://adidarwinian.com/the-glory-of-the-cat Along with the flexible spine, strong muscles, flexible joints, they have a peculiar trait known as righting reflex. The same article has information on this peculiar trait. Due to the righting reflex instinct, cats can even survive falls from the high rise buildings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...