Saturday 29 June 2019

publications - Is it okay to include a simplified and easy version of a result already proved?



I am preparing to write an article. For that, I got an easier proof of the already published result. My result is very simple to prove. Is it ethical to include this result in my article after citing the other author's work that we are improving their result? Kindly help. Thanks a lot.



Answer



Yes.


New proofs are always good and of scientific value, and may be of significant use and interest in their own right. In some cases they are even worthy of a paper of their own. As an example, just recently on MathOverflow I saw Zhi-Wei sun mention that a result of his currently has 6 proofs from 6 different papers and sets of authors (including his own and himself).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...