Sunday 30 June 2019

How many species have existed on earth?



I found a paper estimating the number of species currently living on earth. Now I'm wondering If anybody tried to estimate the number of species that have lived on earth. I'm familiar with problems of "species concepts". But I'm sure, there is at least a number of all known fossils.



EDIT: In contrast to the question How many organisms have ever lived on Earth? I'm asking for species and not for individuals. The answer to my question can be used to ansewer the queston for the number of organisms. But still, The questions is different.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...