Monday 3 September 2018

evolution - Learn Bioconductor the hard way!



I came to analyzing population genetics data from the background of a theoretician and a computer biologist but not with the standard tools that a bioinformatician (or empiricist in population genetics) know of. I have a fairly good knowledge in R and in programming in general.


I am looking for a course/tutorial for learning bioconductor (and other R tools for analyzing genetic data). A course/tutorial that is short, dense and assumes the user has good knowledge in programming. I am happy with both a video or a written tutorial although I would slightly prefer a written tutorial. I typically aim at analyzing data on structured populations such as the average number of pairwise differences among population, or graphing the site frequency spectrum per population, etc..


There are a fair number of such tutorials. Can you please give me recommendations?



Answer



I recommend the DESeq2 tutorial at:


http://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/rnaseqGene/


I think this is a good start for you because:



  • DESeq2 is a very popular package. You'll learn how exactly a bioinformatician works.

  • The workflow starts from alignments, and show you how to connect command-line tools with the R-package


  • It shows you how to generate MA plot, PCA plot etc. You'll appreciate how easy to do such things in R.

  • Testing for differential gene expression is very important

  • You'll learn how R does the programming. For example, in R it's a good idea to create a data set object, and do something like this:


obj <- .... # This is my R-object
obj <- fun1(obj) <- # Function 1 adds information to the object
obj <- fun2(obj) <- # Function 2 adds more information to the object


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...