Tuesday 18 September 2018

ethics - Is it OK to exclude 'extra courses' from the GPA reported in my CV?


I am a PhD student in a physical science major. I finished ALL of my required courses. Assume my current GPA is 3.5. Currently, I am taking 'extra' courses from another engineering department. Some of these courses are indirectly related to my research, but some are completely unrelated (am taking them for pure personal interests).


Now, say I got less than 3.5 in these course. My official University Transcripts will include these courses and report a GPA of less than 3.5.


However, in my CV, I plan not to do so and exclude these courses, and report 3.5, nothing less. My stand is that these were not required in the first place, and some of them are even not relevant at all. It is not fair for me to have them included.


Is there any problem with this?




Answer



If you write



GPA: 3.5



in your CV, this implies that your official cumulative GPA as per university records is a 3.5. So to write this is misleading, and unethical.


If you want to list your GPA only for courses in your own department, you can write



Major GPA: 3.5




or



3.5 GPA in physical science courses



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...