Sunday 16 September 2018

thesis - How to address an author showing replicated results from his paper?


I have replicated a method of interpolation recently proposed by certain author, and I want to tell him that I have done so. I suppose the author is interested in knowing that students are engaged with his work and are using his findings. But I'm unsure on how should I address him.



  • Should I just write to him saying that I have applied his method to new data and found the same results?

  • Should I also send him my work? Or is it too rude to send him the attachment (it is my thesis actually) because he may not be interested in reading it?

  • Should I also comment the results in the same email?


I don't know to which extent do I have to show him my results, because I don't wan't to overwhelm him but neither should he be the one asking for more info.



Answer




Don't send your thesis unless requested. You may write to the author and say that you were interested to read his or her paper, that you applied the method to data from Argentina and you obtained similar results as described in the paper. You may give a little hint about any interesting quirks you found along the way but that is optional and if you do it, you must be very brief in this initial email. The author may be interested enough to write back enthusiastically, asking for more information, and then you can send a summary and your thesis. You may get a conference invite out of it. You may get an invitation to collaborate. You may get a reference to your thesis in this person's future work. You may get some new ideas for future work of your own. This email you will send will be a fun bit of icing on the cake for you, after a lot of hard work!


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...