Thursday 13 September 2018

tools - Is it acceptable to use Mathematica to derive results in your research?



While doing research in statistics, sometimes I came across complex integration that I can't or don't want to solve analytically.


Is it okay to use Mathematica to solve the integration and use the result in my research? Do I need to report this in the academic article? My qualm is that perhaps I am supposed to be able to solve these things by hand.


(Some context: I'm from the social sciences and thus unfamiliar with what's permitted regarding these tools.)



Answer




Is it okay to use Mathematica to solve the integration and use the result in my research?



Of course it is.


It might be useful, though, to make the Mathematica code employed for the calculations available to others, either through a public repository or by a note in the paper suggesting to contact the author(s). This will allow reviewers or other readers to check your calculations, or, possibly, reuse or extend them.


In a paper where I made extensive use of Mathematica, I wrote the following note at the end:




To those interested, the authors can provide the Mathematica notebooks of the full calculations developed in this work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...