Thursday 1 March 2018

cell biology - Why aren't organelles considered alive?


I'm taking a 3-week Bio I summer course, and my textbook says the cell is the smallest/basic unit of life. I asked my professor why organelles aren't a living unit, and her reply was that they aren't self-sufficient. But it seems that cells in multi-cellular organisms need other cells with different specializations in order to survive. You can't just (or can't always) pluck a cell out of a larger organism and leave it to fend for itself outside of it. Same with an organelle. She said only the entire cell fits all the requirements for life, referring me to the textbook, but I couldn't find an actual description of these requirements. So, what is the relevant difference between an organelle and a cell such that only the entire cell is considered alive?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...