Saturday 3 March 2018

etiquette - What is the correct protocol for including peer reviews that I have done in a CV?


I have been advised that I should include the peer reviews in my CV, particularly when I am applying for academic/research positions. I am not too sure how to go about this, thus my questions:





  • Is it ethical to include the full details? I would imagine that as reviews are anonymous, this would be a no-no.




  • Should I just say something along the lines "Reviewer: Journal name"?




Also, what section of the CV should this information be included under?



Answer



I believe you may get some tips from the answers to a question of mine on this very site: “Do you list journals you have reviewed for on your CV?”



As for myself, I list the peer-reviews I have done in a “Administrative and collective duties” or “Community involvement”. Or, in a short CV which doesn't have such divisions, I put it with the broader “Other skills and activities” section (i.e. not teaching, not research projects).


What I include is:



  • list of journals for which I act as reviewer (“Regular reviewer for many chemistry journals, including …”)

  • funding bodies (NSF, private trusts, etc.) for which I act as expert (including, e.g., NSF division, but not the exact programs)

  • evaluation committees on which I sit


It feels obvious, but it's always worth repeating: do not include any confidential information, such as titles or author lists for reviewer papers or projects. I think it's safe to list the number of reviews performed for each outlet if you want (but I don't do it).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...