Tuesday 7 January 2020

Capitalisation of "Section" and "Chapter" in a Ph.D. Thesis


I am submitting a Ph.D. thesis fairly soon and my supervisor has flagged my use of capitalisation in "Section" and "Chapter" as possibly incorrect. I have googled about a bit and I see mixed opinions.


So my question is, when writing a computer science Ph.D. thesis, what is the correct way to capitalise "Section", "Chapter", "Appendix", "Figure", "Table", ... ?


For example, what is the correct capitalisation for the following:




  • "In Chapter 3, it was shown that..."

  • "In the previous Section, a method was presented to..."

  • "The graph in Figure 3 shows..."



Answer




"In Chapter 3, it was shown that..."



This seems correct. "Chapter 3" is the name of the third chapter. Names are capitalised.




"In the previous Section, a method was presented to..."



This seems wrong. "Section" is not referring to the previous section by name, therefore no capital.



"The graph in Figure 3 shows..."



Correct. Same as the first example.


So the rule (I use) is, if it is a proper name, then use a capital. This means, if it is of the form "Section $n$", where $n$ is a number, then it needs a capital.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...