Monday 27 January 2020

Drawbacks of making public which journal a manuscript is submitted to, while it is under review?


Many researchers list out their submitted manuscripts on their website. Some specify the journal name, like



Smith J, Oliver J (under review) My awesome paper. Nature.



while others don't, like



Smith J, Oliver J (under review) My awesome paper.



One reason I can think of as to why some don't mention the journal name is that they may get embarrassed in the case where the current journal rejects the paper. Then, the "circle" will know this paper gets rejected from Nature first and then ends up in an inferior journal.



Besides this, are there any other considerations preventing people from mentioning to which journal they submit a paper to?


P.S.: I am asking because my advisor is a researcher who only mentions accepted papers on his webpage. As a student hunting jobs, I feel it is advantageous for me to mention my submitted papers on my webpage. I hesitate to do so, as I worry I may make my advisor unhappy by announcing in which journal our papers are currently under review.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...