Thursday 14 March 2019

species identification - Help identify the insects I keep finding at my house (Auburn, WA)



Could anyone tell me what is this living being is called? I keep finding his relatives flying/crawling in my house once in a while since late Summer this year. We live in Auburn, WA, in case it helps narrowing down the list of who it can be...




Knowing the name will help me figuring out:




  • whether it's dangerous for my wife, or our infant;

  • how to get rid of it (I start suspecting they either breed inside the house, or somewhere very close because I only find these insects when it's getting warmer outside).




Sorry for the low quality of the photo. By the way, this animal is about 15mm or 5/8" long (not measuring the legs).


enter image description here enter image description here



Answer



It is a Halyomorpha halys, commonly known as a stink bug. Your photo shows a brown marmorated stink bug. More information can be found on this Wikipedia page.


enter image description here


As far as your two questions:





  • Stink bugs do not normally bite people and are not poisonous.




  • A good way of controlling them in your home is by sealing any openings that they are entering through.




Source: http://stinkbugsguide.net/facts.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...