Tuesday 26 March 2019

publications - Citing (or not) a flawed or incomprehensible paper or preprint


Is there a good practice of citing (or not) a paper or preprint that you consider flawed (or at best - totally incomprehensible)?


Once I had a problem of that sort. I wrote a paper on a topic, which was not very popular. Even if I was not using other's results directly, I wanted to cite a few papers solving very similar issues.


Then I had a dilemma if to cite a preprint tackling the same problem, using methods I don't understand (with a feeling that it is incomplete, flawed or just extremely badly written).


Ii that case it is better to:



  • simply drop it,


  • cite but make it explicit that you are just mentioning it, not using their results,

  • or cite making it explicit that you have serious doubts on its content?


EDIT:


By a preprint I understand sth which is archived on arXiv or sth similar.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...