Sunday 8 November 2015

publications - Should I respond to emails (resembling spams) asking for my papers?


I started to get emails like this:



From: Firstname Middlename Lastname ~


Title of paper.


I need the article to study.



thank you!


Firstname Middlename Lastname



Title of paper identifying one of my papers.


Is this the beginning of academic spam or phishing? Do you get such stuff regularly?




The first reaction I had was to answer with an ironic version of how I'd like such an email to look and how I'd have answered it.


On a second thought I decided that the email was so rude that I won't answer it.


After a few hours I got the very same email a second time. I noticed that the sender name is not the one of the names in the "signature". Also, the sender is rather unknown to the more relevant part of the internet (including pubmed).



Answer




I don't even think this is for harvesting papers. My guess: it is to validate email addresses so that actual spam campaigns can achieve a better return on investment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...