Saturday 1 February 2020

yeast - Sources for common laboratory Saccharomyces strains?



I'm used to working with bacteria - some of the more common laboratory strains sometimes come with an order from some vendors. What's the most convenient source to order common straings of Saccharomyces for lab work?



Answer



The Saccharomyces Genome Database has a list of sources here. One of them is the Japanese Yeast Genetic Stock Center: I checked their site out and found that they charge ¥390 per strain which is around USD4. There is also a USD5 fee on all orders. I searched for a couple of standard strains, and these were in the catalogue, so it looks like a good possibility.


(Incidentally I have used USD here rather than $ because there seems to be a bug when typing that symbol twice in a post - try it and you'll see what I mean.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...